Saturday, August 20, 2016

Topic 13: Overcoming Panic Attacks

     Oh hey! I'm happy that your back! Thanks for coming!

     As promised yesterday, today's post is about how to help your spouse with a panic attack.

     Panic atracks are hard to predict. They can come from a variety of things. They usually are initiated by fear of something, when that 'thing' pops up a sense of panic ensues.

     Yesterday we talked about anxiety. In my experience panic attacks are very similar. The key difference is that instead of calming your spouse with good energy, they need to feel safe and protected. This also depends on what triggered the panic attack.

     This is what I do to help Brandi whenever she is afflicted with a panic attack.

    Just like with anxiety I pull her close and breathe deeply to help her feel a sense of calm. After that I assure her that she is safe. "I'm right here", and "I've got you" come out naturally and seem to help. In essence you need to help them to feel comforted. Make them feel safe.

     One way to do that is "vanquish" their fear. You can do this by checking for more spiders if that is what they are scared of. Assuring them that they are indoors and safe when there is a storm outside. Whatever it may be, do what you can to make them feel safe! You can do it!

     Good luck, it takes work but I believe in you. Stay safe and remember, happiness starts in YOUR home!

No comments:

Post a Comment